Steven S. Smith
CONTACT ME:(251) 479-1477
Steven currently specializes in cases that involve disabilities. Specifically, his practice areas include:
- Social Security Disability
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Child’s SSI
- Disabled Widow’s Benefits
- Disabled Adult Children’s Benefits.
Steven was born and raised in and around Mobile, Alabama and Coastal Mississippi. He worked his way through high school and college as a laborer, crane and front-end loader operator, tugboat deckhand, delivery truck driver, and environmental compliance testing technician. After graduating from Auburn University, Steven completed an internship in the offices of Senator Richard C. Shelby, and began law school at the University of Alabama. After a number of years in private practice in Mobile, he was appointed Attorney-Advisor in the Social Security Administration’s Disability Hearing Office in New Orleans, Louisiana during the second administration of President Bill Clinton.
After two years of service in New Orleans, Steven was promoted to SSA’s Regional Headquarters in Atlanta, Georgia during the first administration of President George W. Bush, and served in that capacity throughout both Bush 43 administrations. He was promoted to Senior Attorney-Advisor during the first administration of President Barack Obama, and served in that post through the end of the administration or President Donald J. Trump.
In addition to participating in the adjudications of thousands of disability claims filed throughout the Southeastern United States, Steven was elected Regional Vice President of the National Treasury Employee’s Union and spent three terms working with his colleagues and the Agency to improve many aspects of the Disability Adjudication process to better serve disabled men, women, and children in the community.
After retiring from public service, Steven returned home to coastal Alabama and began his practice serving coastal Alabama and Mississippi.
- University of Alabama School of Law, Tuscaloosa, AL
- JD – 1996
- Auburn University, Auburn, AL
- BA, Economics. Double Minor: History & Business Administration – 1992
- Alabama, 1996
- Authorized to practice in all courts in the State of Alabama
- US district courts for the middle and southern districts of Alabama
- Authorized to practice disability law in all US States and Territories.
- Attorney-Advisor – Social Security Administration’s Disability Hearing Office in New Orleans, Louisiana
- Attorney-Advisor – Social Security Administration’s Regional Headquarters in Atlanta, Georgia
- Senior Attorney – Advisor Social Security Administration’s Regional Headquarters in Atlanta, Georgia
“I have traveled our Country and a great deal of the World, and I’ve never been to a community that I’d rather serve as an attorney more than the communities surrounding my home. These are the folks I grew up with, went to school with, and worked with. This is my family.”
-Steven S. “Smitty” Smith. Attorney